Friday, January 22, 2016

Book Review: The Chimes

The ChimesThe Chimes by Charles Dickens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Extremely well-performed. The voice actor never slipped into the wrong voice, read with just the amount of drama. The only problem I had was when he was speaking in a ghost voice, at lower volume, but that's because I listen when I'm walking and I had the volume adjusted for the other voices. Otherwise, it was excellent.

Regarding the story, I never read this book in school, so I was unfamiliar with it. It seems wrong to comment on the writing style for a novella written in 1844, and in England, where the language and writing style is so much different than it is in 2016 America, so I won't except to say it's not that difficult to follow.

The major thing to remember is that Dickens was not only a writer, but a social critic. Listen to what he says, and enjoy a moment of gratitude for what we have now, and a sigh for vestiges of social problems that remain.

View all my reviews

No comments: